Since 2018, Ford’s Theatre has offered relaxed, sensory-friendly performances, providing theatrical experiences for people with sensory sensitivities.
Ford’s Theatre is committed to accessibility at all levels and is thrilled to offer sensory-friendly performances. These performances are designed for those with sensory sensitivities who might benefit from an adjusted theatrical environment, including individuals with autism or other social, learning or cognitive disabilities. Our Sensory-Friendly experiences aim to provide a safe environment where individuals and families can relax and be who they are. Theatrical adjustments for these performances vary, and often include:
- Adjusted overall sound levels in the theatre, especially for startling or loud sounds;
- Lights in the theatre will remain on at a low level during the performance;
- A reduction of strobe lighting and lighting focused on the audience;
- Space throughout the theatre for standing and movement;
- Limited capacity to allow for space between parties;
- Ford’s Theatre staff trained to welcome and assist guests as needed;
- Printed and digital resource materials from Ford’s accessibility committee available to prepare attendees for their visit.
Save the dates for 2023-2024 Sensory-Friendly performances:
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, adapted by Michael Wilson: Saturday, December 10, 2023
- Little Shop of Horrors by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman: Saturday, May 4, 2024
To learn more about Ford’s Theatre accessibility options, please visit the link below.
Ford’s Theatre accessibility programs are supported by the Liberty Mutual Foundation.
“I so enjoyed all the pageantry, the wonderful music and the truly splendid acting!”–Ben Breaux, from the 2022 sensory-friendly performance of A Christmas Carol
From The Gallery
Ford’s Theatre staff members and consultant Diane Nutting greet guests in the lobby before the sensory-friendly performance of the 2023 Ford’s Theatre production of SHOUT SISTER SHOUT! Photo by Andrew Buchsbaum.
Guests in the lobby pose for a photo after the sensory-friendly performance of the 2023 Ford’s Theatre production of SHOUT SISTER SHOUT! Photo by Andrew Buchsbaum.
Consultant Diane Nutting and guests in the lobby before the sensory-friendly performance of Into the Woods. Photo by Margot Schulman.
Justine “Icy” Moral and Samy Nour Younes (left background, Maria Egler) meet attendees of the sensory-friendly performance of Into the Woods. Photo by Margot Schulman.
Karen Vincent, Jade Jones and Wyn Delano pose with a guest following the sensory-friendly performance of Into the Woods. Photo by Margot Schulman.
Actors Rayanne Gonzales, Gregory Maheu, Joe Mallon, Stephen F. Schmidt and others greet patrons in the Ford’s Theatre lobby following the Saturday, December 14, 2019, Sensory-Friendly performance of A Christmas Carol. Photo by Gary Erskine.
Photo by Gary Erskine.