Since 2018, Ford’s Theatre has offered relaxed, sensory-friendly performances, providing theatrical experiences for people with sensory sensitivities.
Ford’s Theatre is committed to accessibility at all levels and is thrilled to offer sensory-friendly performances. These performances are designed for those with sensory sensitivities who might benefit from an adjusted theatrical environment, including individuals with autism or other social, learning or cognitive disabilities. Our Sensory-Friendly experiences aim to provide a safe environment for those with sensory sensitivities, where individuals and families can relax and be their authentic selves. Theatrical adjustments for these performances vary, and often include:
- Adjusted overall sound levels in the theatre, especially for startling or loud sounds;
- Lights in the theatre will remain on at a low level during the performance;
- A reduction of strobe lighting and lighting focused on the audience;
- Space throughout the theatre for standing and movement;
- Limited capacity to allow for space between parties;
- Ford’s Theatre staff trained to welcome and assist guests as needed;
- Printed and digital resource materials from Ford’s accessibility committee available to prepare attendees for their visit.
Upcoming Sensory-Friendly Performance: Little Shop of Horrors
Saturday, May 4, 2024 at 2 p.m.
We are thrilled to offer a sensory-friendly performance of our production of Little Shop of Horrors on Saturday, May 4, 2024 at 2 p.m. Though this production is typically recommended for ages 8+, the adjustments for this dedicated performance will provide a family-friendly environment. We welcome anyone who may benefit from an adjusted theatrical environment.
Please call (202) 347-4833 to purchase tickets. Learn more about Little Shop of Horrors and Ford’s Theatre accessibility options at the links below.
Ford’s Theatre accessibility programs are supported by the Liberty Mutual Foundation.
Ben Breaux, from the 2022 sensory-friendly performance of A Christmas Carol